CAULIFLOWER & WHITE BEAN PUREE WITH PRESERVED LEMON
Serve this warm with grilled bread sprinkled with za’atar, lamb chuck eye roll neck fillet, Middle Eastern Style kebabs or grilled chicken.
1 kg cauliflower florets, divided
20 g whole garlic cloves
750 g cooked cannelini beans
125 mL (125 g) sour cream
15 mL (15 g) lemon juice
8.5 g salt, divided
120 mL (120 g) extra virgin olive oil, divided
30 g whole garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 g coarsely ground black pepper
3.5 g toasted whole cumin seed, coarsely crushed
10 g Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
30 mL lemon juice
1 preserved lemon, pulp removed, rind finely chopped
- Cook 750g cauliflower & 20g whole garlic together in boiling water until very tender. Drain, pressing down on the cauliflower to remove excess water.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add beans, sour cream, lemon juice & salt. Puree until completely smooth.
- Toss the remaining 300g cauliflower with 30mL oil & 1g salt. Spread onto a parchment lined sheet pan & roast at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes until browned, turning over halfway through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 90 mL oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. Add the sliced garlic and cook until golden. Add to the cauliflower along with the pepper, cumin, parsley, lemon juice & preserved lemon.
- Swirl the puree on a plate, creating a well in the middle. Garnish with the roasted cauliflower mixture. Add extra olive oil to the plate if desired.
To make a puree to serve cold:
- Mince the 20 g garlic and do not cook with the cauliflower. Add to the mixture when pureeing
- Substitute tahini for the sour cream
- Increase lemon juice in the puree to 60 mL