HOW TO: Fresh Mussels 101
Here's a new culinary challenge for our chefs at home. Have you tried cooking live mussels at home yet? It may be easier than you think! Take some tips away from this #Mussel101 from our friends at Canadian Cove Mussels in PEI.
- Rinse live mussels under cold running water for one to two minutes. Fresh live mussels should smell like the sea and naturally open and close but they may take a few minutes to respond to the rinsing, agitating and stimulation. Discard any mussels that are cracked, broken or smell bad.
- Place enough liquid in an empty pot to cover the bottom. You only require a small amount of your favourite liquid, such as a seafood broth, as the mussels will be steamed, not boiled. Turn the element to high.
- Add the mussels to the pot and cover with the lid. Keep the temperature set to high. If creating a preferred recipe this would be the perfect time to add ingredients on top of the mussels before placing the cover. Spices, vegetables, herbs, sauces, butter, etc.
- For reference, 2 – 3 pounds of mussels will take 5 – 7 minutes to cook but timing may vary depending on the strength of heat, how much liquid you use, and the amount of mussels you put in the pot. Mussels are ready when shells are open and you can see the plump tender meats.
- When the steam is pouring out from under the lid of the pot for 2 - 3 minutes, remove from heat. Let rest covered for 1 minute.
- Tip the contents into a bowl and serve with some fresh crusty bread for dipping in the wonderful broth — It’s that simple!