This steamed mussels recipe needs to be added to your cooking repertoire because it is so affordable and easy to prepare, but is very impressive to your guests. Don’t forget to serve with crusty bread so your guests can enjoy that delicious broth!
- 2.5 lbs PEI Fresh Canadian Mussels
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 50g Panchetta, diced (or Bacon)
- 3 Shallots, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Italian Parsley, rough chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Before cooking the mussels, give them a rinse under cold running water and drain them.
- Any mussels that are open, tap lightly, or press to close. Any mussels that don't remain closed after this step, discard. The mussels should smell fresh and briny like the ocean.
- Heat a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Followed by the pancetta (or bacon), and cook for a few minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add the shallots and stir to combine. Season with a little salt and chili flake.
- When the shallots are softened, add the mussels and mix well together.
- Add the wine, and cover with a lid for 4-6 minutes until all the mussels have opened.
- Transfer the mussels to a serving dish, or eat them right out of the pot 🙂
- Garnish with Italian parsley, a drizzle of olive oil, and serve with crusty bread.