RECIPE: New York Strip Steak With Spot Prawn Scampi
Strip steaks deliciously topped with shrimp and scampi butter. Learn how to cook a surf and turf dinner on the grill with this easy recipe.
- 4 Certified Angus Beef ® strip steaks, about 1 1/4-inch thick
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound White Prawns or Spot Prawn tail on, thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Prepare grill by having two heat zones: 1) high heat and 2) medium heat with a medium cast iron pan placed on the grate.
- Pat prawns dry with a paper towel. In a mixing bowl, toss prawns with canola oil, 1-teaspoon salt and 1/2-teaspoon pepper.
- Season strip steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Grill over high heat 4-5 minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 125°F for medium rare. Allow to rest, tented with foil, while preparing prawns.
- Grill prawns over high heat, 2 minutes on one side. While prawns grill, add 4-tablespoons butter and garlic to the cast iron pan (over medium heat). Flip prawns and grill 2 more minutes. Transfer to cast iron pan and stir in parsley and lemon zest; searing 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in remaining 2-tablespoons butter and lemon juice until melted. Serve steaks topped with prawns and drizzled with scampi butter.