RECIPE: Chicken & Apple Sausage Stuffing
This festive recipe uses our Chicken & Apple Sausage and fresh herbs to make a new holiday classic.
- 8 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chicken Apple sausage, casings removed
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Onion, medium dice
- 3 Celery stalks, medium dice
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, coarse grind
- ½ tsp Salt, kosher
- ½ cup Dried Cherries (or Dried Cranberries)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Fresh Thyme, stem removed finely chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Eggs
- Chopped Italian Parsley and Grated Asiago Cheese
Chicken & Apple Sausage Stuffing
- Place the cubed bread on a baking tray and toast in the oven at 350°F until golden. Cool at room temperature.
- Place a large saucepan over medium high heat, and add the oil.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and fry it in oil, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or heat proof rubber spatula. Do not drain.
- When the sausage is cooked, add the butter, onion, celery and garlic. Sweat until tender and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the dried cherries, fresh herbs, mix well, remove from the heat & allow to cool.
- Place the toasted bread in a large bowl. Add the cooled mixture from the pan to the bread cubes and mix. Add the 2 eggs and mix again. Finally, mix in the chicken broth to moisten the mixture.
- It may not require all the broth. The mixture should be softened but not overly loose.
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown.