RECIPE: Flank Steak Thai Noodle Salad
Marinated and grilled flank steak with greens and mixed herbs, avocado, mango, crispy fried noodles & chili lime vinaigrette.
1 ½ - inch piece ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 500 g flank steak (approx half)
- coarse salt - when grilling
Chili Lime Vinaigrette
¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- ¼ cup canola oil, or other neutral oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- coarse salt TT
80 g Fresh egg noodles, crispy fried
- 1 large mango, peeled, cut ½ inch cubes
- Baby Salad greens as needed
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ cup radish, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup torn mint leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped salted, roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Prepare the marinade and place the flank steak in the mixture for a minimum of 6 hours, or overnight. Turn once during marination.
- Prepare the noodles according to the packaged cooking instructions, drain well, and allow to dry before frying until golden and crisp. (or buy pre fried noodles)
- Cut all the salad garnishes, and make the dressing.
- Remove the steak from the marinade pat dry. Season lightly with coarse salt and char-grill over medium high heat until your preferred doneness. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
- Make salads using your favorite baby salad greens and the salad garnishes. Dress with just enough vinaigrette, reserving a bit more for on top, and serve with crushed peanuts on top and fresh lime.