RECIPE: Lamb Grilled Cheese Sandwich
When there’s leftover lamb roast, make grilled cheese!
This gooey delight uses spinach artichoke dip, creamy roasted garlic Havarti, and is served with pickled red onions & grainy mustard.
- (5+) Thin slices of leftover Roasted Boneless Lamb Leg
- (8) Slices of thick-cut sourdough bread (preference)
- (4) tbsp Spinach Artichoke dip (preference)
- (8) Slices Roast Garlic Havarti Cheese (Fontina is also really nice)
- (Optional) Butter for spreading
- Pickled onions (Recipe below)
- Grainy mustard
- 1 large Red Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt, kosher
- ¼ tsp Chili Flakes
- ⅛ tsp Cumin, ground
- ½ tsp grainy mustard
Lamb Grilled Cheese
- Place the slices of lamb on a tray and warm in the oven for a few minutes before building the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Spread 1 generous tbsp of the dip on each of the 4 pieces of bread.
- Place the warmed lamb slices on top of the dip, followed by 2 slices of cheese on top of the lamb.
- Close the sandwiches with the second slice of bread and butter on each side before toasting in a pan over medium low heat until golden and fully melted.
- Serve with tangy pickled onions and mustard for dipping.
- Slice the red onion as thinly as possible.
- Place them in a heat-proof container. A mason jar is perfect.
- Meanwhile, place all the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stir to make sure all the ingredients are combined and the salt has dissolved.
- Carefully, pour the hot liquid over the onions and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Using a fork, stir the mixture and make sure the onions are below the surface of the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- These are ready in a few hours, but best if allowed to pickle overnight.
- Keep them for a week refrigerated.