Rossdown Farms' Signature Holiday Turkey Recipe
Raised in the British Columbia’s Similkameen Valley, Rossdown Farm's organic turkeys are free range, raised without antibiotics and fed an all-vegetarian diet that contains no GMOs or animal by-products. For more than three generations Rossdown has been dedicated to farming, raising and serving the highest-quality poultry products from the Beautiful Fraser Valley.
Follow the Wiebe Family's signature recipe below to make a delicious turkey for your holiday feast!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp each dried sage and thyme
- salt and pepper
Old Fashioned Stuffing
3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fennel (or 2 cups celery)
- 4 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp each salt, dried savory, marjoram and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 14 cups cubed white bread
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5 prunes
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine or water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup each sliced carrot and celery
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & Pepper
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onions, celery, fennel and spices, stirring often for 10-15 minutes and vegetables are tender. Transfer to large bowl and toss with bread, prunes and parsley. Set aside.
Rinse turkey inside and out; dry skin and cavity well. Loosely stuff neck opening; fold neck skin over stuffing and skewer to back. Lift wings and twist under back. Stuff body cavity. Tuck legs under band of skin or tie together with butchers twine.
*extra stuffing* Place in oven safe dish with lid on, and cook for 30-45 minutes at 350F. When removing stuffing, add in some drippings from the turkey pan, and stir in.
Place turkey on rack in roasting pan. Combine butter, sage and thyme; rub over turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tent with foil, dull side out, leaving sides open. Roast in 400F (160C) oven for 1 hour, and then reduce temperature to 350F, basting every 30 minutes for 4 hours.
Remove foil and roast for 1 additional hour or until thermometer inserted into thigh reads 185F (85C) and stuffing 165F (75C). Let stand on platter for 20 minutes, lightly covered.
- Meanwhile, to saucepan with turkey parts, add stock, wine, onion, carrot, and celery; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and skim off fat. Simmer for 3 hours. Strain into measuring cup, adding enough wine to make 3 cups. Set aside.
- Skim off fat in roasting pan. Stir flour into pan; cook over medium heat, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk in stock and bring to a boil, stirring to scrap up brown bits. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk in butter, season with salt and pepper to taste. Strain.
Carve Turkey and serve. Enjoy!
Leave a comment