RECIPE: Red Wine Braised Certified Angus Beef® Short Ribs
Classic Red Wine Braised Short Ribs is meltingly tender and soul-warming. Follow this traditional recipe for boneless short ribs braised with red wine in the oven.
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef® bone-in short ribs, cut in 4-ounce chunks (2 x 3-inch each)
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 6 ounces can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In two batches, sear on two sides until well browned (1-2 minutes per side); remove from pan.
- Add onion, carrot and celery; sear over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste and herbs followed by red wine. Allow to boil and thicken, stir in beef stock; add short ribs and close lid.
- Place in oven and cook for 5-6 hours until short ribs fall apart when pressed with a fork. Skim excess fat and serve.
- Chef’s tip: For extra flavor, make a day ahead. Transfer short rib pieces to a casserole pan. Discard bay leaves and any excess fat from top of braising liquid, puree vegetables with sauce and strain. Pour half of sauce over short ribs, cover with foil and refrigerate. Before serving, place covered casserole pan in 250° F oven and bake 30-45 minutes. In a small saucepan heat remaining sauce (thinning with water as necessary) and serve with short ribs.