SHAVED RIBEYE BLT
Inspired by thin-sliced ribeye sandwiches traditionally served on the ranch, at the sale barn, or throughout the county fair. We dressed up this big, beefy sandwich by throwing fresh tomatoes on the same griddle where we seared the beef, and added a punch of vinegar to balance the fatty ribeye. Crispy bitter greens and seasoned mayo make for a Beef-L-T to remember.
- 2 x 10 oz of Certified Angus Beef ® ribeye steaks, cut 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups roughly chopped escarole, tightly packed
- 4 large sandwich buns, toasted
- Combine mayonnaise with 1/2-teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat and add canola oil. When wisps of smoke appear from pan, add one ribeye steak. Sear 2 minutes, flip and sear another 2 minutes. Reserve cooked ribeye to a clean plate, repeat with remaining steak. Season evenly with 1 1/2-salt and remaining 1/2-teaspoon pepper.
- With skillet still hot, add cherry tomatoes and occasionally stir for 2 minutes, season with remaining 1/2-teaspoon salt, then turn off heat. Add shallots and garlic to pan using the residual heat of pan, soften for 1 minute before adding vinegar and honey. Stir, allow “relish” to thicken 2 minutes.
- Build sandwiches by spreading mayonnaise on the bottom bun, escarole, a large portion of shaved ribeye, blistered tomato relish and bun top.